What do you miss most about live music?

For this issue, we asked three of Venue’s writers what they miss most about live music. Enjoy!

There’s nothing that can make you feel more alive than the incredible atmosphere of live music. Of course, there’s the building excitement as you queue outside the venue, waiting to buy a t-shirt of your favourite band’s logo. However, one of the best things about live music is being able to feed off the crowd’s energy, even if being shoulder to shoulder with strangers seems like such a distant concept now.

But when everyone’s dancing, swaying, and jumping up and down, singing along to their favourite songs at the top of their lungs, in sync with one another, being in that crowd can just make you feel a little less alone in the world. Feeling like you belong there, at that moment, brings along a sense of ecstatic joy and inner peace. From the thumping beat of the drums that you can feel deep in your chest, while you see your favourite musicians in person and in their element on stage; to the incredible moment where the lead singer interacts with the audience, coming down to, or being held up by, the crowd. The magical lights signal exactly how amazing you should feel during the crescendo of a song, the confetti blasting down over the standing crowd at the end of another.

There’s nothing better than standing there and realising how much of an incredible experience it all is: one to keep with you, one to remember forever.

Lily Boag

There’s something about the atmosphere of live music that’s just difficult to pin down.

I miss the adrenaline rush before the artist comes on. When the lights come up, an incomparable magical, exhilarating, optimistic feeling floods your body. You watch tens or hundreds or thousands of people shouting the lyrics to your favourite songs, knowing they have all paid for the same experience. You’re so utterly euphoric, moving with the sway of the crowd.

You don’t care that it’s ridiculously sweaty or that the band t-shirt you forked out for at the entrance is now drenched in alcohol. There’s something thrilling about spending £5 for a pint in a plastic cup that probably would have set you back two quid at Tesco’s. It tastes sweeter somehow.

You re-watch the videos you took, re-living the high on the way home, always one of the best nights of your life.

Anastasia Christodoulou

Live music is breathing the same air as a talented performer you love, seeing someone so talented in the flesh, and seeing them engage with their audience and create a connected moment.

Of course, many acoustic and non-studio versions have been released since live music has had to stop, but it isn’t the same. The beauty of live music is that it exists in only one moment. It is fabulous because it is fleeting. You can’t rewind it or replay it in the same way you can a YouTube video.

When you are in the audience, you are part of a moment, and you have an active role to play in the concert or performance. Whether that is singing along with the musician, or locking eyes with them for just a split second. You as an audience are a point of connection for the artist and in that space, magic happens.

Leia Butler

23/03/2021

Lily Boag and Anastasia Christodoulou and Leia Butler

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031