What to Watch: April

A not so very long time ago in an office far, far away…from everyone, I sat down and thought about what films I have indulged in over the past few weeks. Since lockdown began, I have escaped the same four walls within film and television. After watching The Mandalorian on Disney Plus, my family and I decided to re-watch Star Wars. In these troubling times, a beloved feel-good film does wonders to one’s well-being, like a steaming cup of tea on an icy day. So, I thought I would suggest some recent classics to immerse yourselves in whether that is experiencing them for the first time or rediscovering an old favourite.

The Truman Show, I believe to be one of these classics. Truman is unknowingly the star of his own television show, his whole existence is fabricated for him and his audience until he begins to question his own reality, as we are starting to do in lockdown.

As pubs are closed, what other way is there to enjoy, or avoid, the dreaded hangover than with the film The Hangover. Four friends visit Las Vegas for a bachelor party that turns into a night to remember or trying to remember.

If you’re after an action comedy about a Metropolitan Police Officer who is transferred to a seemingly perfect town look no further than the blue Cornetto that is Hot Fuzz.

Another of these feel-good films is a reworking of an Austen classic. For those who are Clueless, Alicia Silverstone plays Cher, a modern-day Emma, who attempts to matchmake two of her high school teachers.

My last feel-good film is The Fisher King, this dramatic comedy addresses the detrimental effect that words can have whilst the protagonist attempts to rectify his wrong.

I recently discovered The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix which is fascinating and wonderfully written. It follows a lawsuit made against a group of anti-Vietnam protestors after the riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois.

My family and I also watched The Dig which romantically reimagines the excavation of Sutton Hoo in 1939.

Finally, Soul, on Disney Plus, is another film worth a watch. The story follows Joe, a jazz pianist, who becomes trapped between life and death. The film advocates we savour life so enjoy relishing every moment of these films.

13/04/2021

Elena Rodgers

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31