Gaming, Venue

What went on over Christmas:

So, another Christmas is over, and with it came some gaming news to end the decade with a bang (or a whimper). 

A new Batman game has been teased, which is very exciting news considering Arkham Knight was supposedly the last in the series. This is rumoured to coincide with the release of the PS5 and Xbox Series X in holiday 2020. This time however it is developed by WB Games Montreal, who previously worked on Batman: Arkham Origins, often considered to be one of the weakest in the series alongside Arkham Knight. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the new technology available to them; however, I am cautiously optimistic, as I’m not sure you can truly recapture the greatness of Arkham Asylum and City. Regardless, this is definitely great news. 

Earlier this month, the Pokémon expansion pass was revealed. This comes with two DLC packs: ‘The Isle of Armor’, and ‘The Crown Tundra’, apparently modelled after the Isle of Wight, and Scotland respectively. These come with new Pokémon to fight against and with, along with new items. It would also seem that Gamefreak are adding back in some Pokémon that were removed from the game, which is a step in the right direction – and you can use Pokémon Home to transfer these from older games for a small fee. This is the first time a Pokémon game has had an expansion pass, with previous generations distributing new Pokémon through mystery gift – is this a good thing? Maybe the production quality will be higher, although Gamefreak have a track record at this point of not exactly listening to their fanbase. Only time will tell. 

And that’s it for gaming news. Here’s hoping that 2020 will prove to be a milestone year for gaming, as the next generation is launched and we finally get to play games we’ve been waiting years for (looking at you Cyberpunk 2077).

28/01/2020

James Ward

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930