What’s new in science – 12th January

Researchers have identified “runaway stars” in the Milky Way.

Tim Peake set for first spacewalk by a British astronaut.

December 2015 was the warmest December since records began in 1910.

Seventh row of the periodic table completed with four new elements.

Nearby galaxy black hole caught “burping gas”.

Scientists discover high dosages of Vitamin D could treat multiple sclerosis.

Twin study estimates familial risks of 23 different cancers.

Scientists have successfully converted skin cells into fully-functioning pancreatic cells.

Dutch entrepreneur Boyan Slat invents largest floating barrier, using the ocean’s own currents to clean the Pacific.

Scientists have determined that honey bees are being harmed by use of neonicotinoid pesticide.

Plans to create a ‘highway’ in the Mediterranean have been backed to protect marine mammals threatened by oil exploration projects.

Warmer winter producing an abundance of food has resulted in fatter squirrels.

12/01/2016

jacobbeebe Going into his 2nd year of his Biomedicine degree, Jacob plans to spend his time in the hive huddled around a cuppa’ - more than likely sporting a befuddled expression on his face. Aside from his studies he is a guitarist, saxophonist and a budding drummer. Previously a committed Environment writer, he aims to make the newly formed Science and Environment section an interesting new addition to Concrete.

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31