What’s new in science – 20th October

Scientists working in China have discovered teeth belonging to modern humans that date to at least 20,000 years earlier than the previously thought.

A 125 million year old fossil has been unearthed with its mammalian internal organs intact as well as its fur.

Experts have found that larger brains do not lead to higher IQs.

European climate change chief is astonished at the positive progress by governments towards a global deal on CO2.

An Indonesian volcano has erupted electric-blue lava.

Malaria protein could provide a more universal treatment for cancer.

A UK-based robotics company and Disney have joined forces to produce 3D-printed prosthetic arms.

Now researchers have discovered that the pattern of brain activity from one person to the next is as different as a fingerprint.

Global warming means that spring will arrive earlier in the US Scientists say a gene-editing method could make pig organs suitable for use in humans.

Neuroscientists have found a brain circuit that can trigger small regions of the brain to fall asleep or become less alert.

Researchers have succeeded in converting skin cells into fully functional placenta-generating cells.

20/10/2015

jacobbeebe Going into his 2nd year of his Biomedicine degree, Jacob plans to spend his time in the hive huddled around a cuppa’ - more than likely sporting a befuddled expression on his face. Aside from his studies he is a guitarist, saxophonist and a budding drummer. Previously a committed Environment writer, he aims to make the newly formed Science and Environment section an interesting new addition to Concrete.