What’s new in science?

• Researchers have managed to turn limb cells into genitals in lizards- showing their same developmental origin.
  • The landing site for the rosetta comet mission has been named “Agilkia”.
  • Researchers use a rover dressed to look like a baby penguin to infiltrate colonies of penguins.
  • Researchers have shown there is a link between polluted air and increased risk of ADHD.
  • Retinal scans can be used to analyse the advance of macular degeneration.
  • A new species of coral has been identified off the coast of California.
  • The Alma radio telescope has photographed planets forming around a young star.
  • The planet’s salamanders are at risk from a flesh eating fungus.
  • Baboons also build up knowledge as humans do – known as cumulative culture.
  • Women who have a Y chromosome do not think like men…
  • Women may have more olfactory (scent) neurons than men.
  • An agreement has been made with landowners, including Network Rail and the Highways Agency, to help to restore and maintain habitats for bees.
  • Scientists have created a 3D model of a slice through the adolescent universe.
  • A study has revealed two genes that are linked with violent crime.
11/11/2014

jacobbeebe Going into his 2nd year of his Biomedicine degree, Jacob plans to spend his time in the hive huddled around a cuppa’ - more than likely sporting a befuddled expression on his face. Aside from his studies he is a guitarist, saxophonist and a budding drummer. Previously a committed Environment writer, he aims to make the newly formed Science and Environment section an interesting new addition to Concrete.

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930