Stepping into Biddy’s Tea Room feels a little like entering Lewis Carroll’s Wonderland. Tucked away down Lower Goat Lane, this delightful tearoom that opened its doors back in 2011 has already been recognised for its triumphs, including winning Best Vintage Café in Norwich at the Norwich Vintage Awards last year and even being praised in the travel section of the Guardian.

Biddy's Tea Room - ConcretePhotograph: Emma Williamson

Biddy’s is unique, with its eccentric interior and traditional teas using local produce, ranging from delicious chorizo and pork pies to rose flavoured tarts and carrot cakes in teacups. Their peculiar window display, complete with a welcoming stuffed fox, is an immediate head turner, and the eccentricities do not stop there. Inside the design is perfectly mad, with every piece of décor and furniture exerting its own individual charm.

The layout of the tea room is divided into a lounge area at the back, ideal for a quiet cup of tea with a friend or two, and an afternoon tea room upstairs, perfect for a special get together over scones and crust-less sandwiches. Biddy’s takes bookings for large parties and events if you wish to celebrate a special occasion in their venue, with a range of party menus that can also cater for specific dietary requirements, such as vegan or gluten-free alternatives. A stand-out feature at Biddy’s is their delicious cupcakes in all manner of flavours, from Piña Colada to Turkish Delight.

Not only can you sample a freshly made cupcake in their lounge with one of the many fruity teas on offer, but Biddy’s also offer a bespoke cupcake service. Pick the flavours and colours of your choice and for a few pennies more you can have your cakes in a pretty presentation box ready to surprise your loved ones with. Or, depending on how generous you are feeling, Biddy’s can prepare you a box ready to be devoured as a post-exam treat for yourself, should you be feeling greedy.

Norwich boasts a wide array of cafes, but this tearoom has quickly succeeded in establishing itself amidst the quirky boutiques of the Norwich Lanes as a traditional tea house. It advertises many of the city’s Vintage themed events, as well as hosting upstairs its own “Stitch and Bitch” sessions where tea and knitting lovers can come together and do as the name suggests.

However, if you are not a dab hand at crochet but are keen on vintage pieces then turn your attention downstairs. The owners of Biddy’s have themselves collected many of the ornaments and trinkets that adorn the tearoom and some of its treasures are for sale. Items to purchase include teapot-shaped jewellery, vintage luggage cases and entire crockery sets if you feel inspired to recreate your own high tea at home. Be sure to speak to the staff if you see a particular item that catches your eye, as the owners often come across their finds in boot sales and can offer advice on where to pick up such treasures.

In short, Biddy’s is a place of whimsy, tradition and great cake. It has quickly become a popular venue for the city’s tea lovers and it truly is a delight for all of the senses.