The chocolate chip cookie has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1930s Massachusetts. Although the original Toll House recipe remains close to the hearts of cookie purists worldwide, the latter half of the 20th century has truly reinvented the American classic, transforming it into a culinary playground for nuts, fruits, and a myriad of cavity-inducing delights.

Quick to bake, these little beauties meet the perfect balance between chewy and crispy, whilst the combination of sweet and sour, epitomised by the glorious marriage between sumptuous raspberries and sublime white chocolate, really does take these cookies to the next phase of cookie heaven.
  • 170g butter or margarine
  • 200g brown sugar
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 250g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 200g of white chocolate, coarsely chopped into chunks
  • 100g frozen raspberries
  1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
  2. In a large bowl or blender, cream the butter and sugar until light and frothy.
  3. Once smooth, add the egg and mix thoroughly.
  4. Add the flour and baking powder and stir into the mixture.
  5. When the ingredients are fully combined, fold in the white chocolate chunks.
  6. Very gently fold the frozen raspberries into the mixture, ensuring that they bleed as little as possible.
  7. With a tablespoon and teaspoon, drop balls of the cookie dough onto the lined baking tray, leaving approximately 10cm between each cookie.
  8. Bake for 12 minutes at 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
  9. The cookies will be very fragile upon removal from the oven, so allow them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before attempting to move them onto a cooling rack.
  10. Cool for ten minutes, if you can wait.