Travel

Why Mountains Are Better than Beaches

Incredible picturesque landscapes, clean fresh air, peaceful and tranquil; the mountains are full of unmatched beauty. They offer you the chance to disconnect and escape from the hustle and bustle of life. When you’re up in the mountains, all your worries will ease away as time stands completely still.

Whether you’re exploring close to home through the UK’s glorious national parks, the mountains will open your eyes up to the greater beauties of the world. From taking a trip to the luscious lake district or peak district to venturing among the higher peaks in hilly Scotland and Wales. Or perhaps you’re travelling abroad to scope the snowy slopes, discovering global treasures trekking Peru’s exotic Machu Picchu, hiking up dormant volcanoes such as Kilimanjaro, or taking on the Himalayas on your way to Everest Base Camp.

Within all types of environments, from the green English countryside to dense rainforests and jungles, hot and sandy deserts, and chilly snow caps, every mountain is individually unique and can offer wonderful terrains to explore. And tucked along the mountains you can find some beautiful lakes and magnificent waterfalls too.

Hiking and sight-seeing through the mountains in itself can be a phenomenal adventure of a lifetime, and there’s nothing quite as rewarding as summiting the peak of a mountain and being at the top of the world, where you can witness some unbelievable views as well as the expansive beauty of Mother Nature. Not only is hiking amazing for your physical health, it’s also spectacular for your mental health.

But what’s the best thing about being amongst the mountains? There’s no pressure for you to feel like you need a summer-ready beach-bod! Going to the beach, at first, sounds like a lovely get-away idea until you arrive realising it’s more of a chore than a fun-day out.

When you are lucky with the weather, the beach will be crowded, and you’ll most likely spend half an hour looking for a good parking spot, unpacking the heavy beach bag and setting everything up. Then comes trading your shoes for old flip flops which you’ll be waddling about in for the rest of the day, followed by the task of slathering yourself in sticky sun cream – despite the likelihood of still getting sunburnt.

Of course, the sea will probably be freezing cold, and whether you do decide to risk the dip or not, you’ll most definitely be bringing the sand home with you – no matter how hard you try to wash yourself up at the end of the day. If you plan to avoid the sand by going to a stony beach, beware that there will be nowhere comfy to sit. While if you’re a girl, it might be a good idea to bring a hairbrush or to tie your hair back, otherwise prepare for knotty hair.

Though abroad there are some beautiful turquoise oceans and white beaches, in the UK you’ll most likely be stuck with a murky sea, sitting among cigarette butts filtered through the sand – not quite the adventure of a lifetime. Therefore, while the beach may be well-suited to some, it’s just not to me.

04/05/2021

Lily Boag

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031