Why Stardust is a Must-Watch

Stardust is one of those films that almost everyone has seen but it’s never at the forefront of people’s minds. We forget about it until something reminds us of it – then we’re hit with a wave of nostalgia and such a strong love that we must rewatch it. For a while, it takes over our thoughts, and scenes plant themselves in our heads, bringing smiles to our faces. At least that’s how it is for me.

Stardust is one of my all-time favourites. I used to watch it with my mam several times a year, and we’d beam as bright as Yvaine when the feelings begin to surface. We’d let the credits play and sing along to ‘Rule the World’ by Take That.

For those who’ve never seen it, and have no idea what I’m talking about, Stardust is about a young man called Tristan who vows to find a fallen star for his beloved. When he reaches the spot, the star is in human form, and the two must travel the dangerous lands of Stormhold. What starts as disdain between Tristan and Yvaine grows to friendship, and maybe even more. The film also features seven brothers in a bloody battle to become the next King of Stormhold, and three witches seeking out immortality.

You might be thinking, “it sounds cheesy”. It is. But that’s the best part. It’s filled with so much magic and wonder that I’d be surprised if anyone finished it without a smile on their face. But it also has darkness – the witches cut out hearts of stars, the brothers murder each other, and one of them is turned into a voodoo doll – after all, it IS based on a Neil Gaiman book.

As I grow older, this film becomes so much more magical to me, especially now I’m in Norwich, which Stardust has its ties to. Parts of Stormhold were filmed in Norwich’s own Elm Hill, with The Slaughtered Prince – Stormhold’s public house – being The Briton’s Arms.

I will never not go feral when discussing this film. It’s one of the films I hold so close to my heart, and yet it’s rare to hear people talking about it. If you adore Stardust as I do, rewatch it and allow yourself to disappear into the magical world of Stormhold for two hours. If you haven’t seen it, get to it, you won’t be disappointed.

05/10/2021

Louise Collins

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031