Will there be a changing of the guard on Superbowl Sunday?

On Sunday 7th February, the NFL’s very best will go head-to-head for the Vince Lombardi Trophy. I am of course talking about Super Bowl LV, where the Kansas City Chiefs face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The 55th edition of the Super Bowl being the first ever to be played at the home ground of one of the participating teams, with Tampa Bay’s Raymond James Stadium set to host the event. Widely considered to be American Football’s GOAT, Tom Brady will be making his 10th Super Bowl appearance, after outfoxing MVP favourite Aaron Rodgers’ Green Bay Packers at none other than Lambeau Field, in the NFC Championship game. With Brady at the helm, you would think that the Bucs would be favourites, right?

Wrong.

The Chiefs will be looking for back-to-back Super Bowl wins this year, fresh off a 14-2 regular season, where Patrick Mahomes reminded everyone why he is the best that the NFL currently has to offer. With wide receiver Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce at his disposal, few would bet against Mahomes extending his record of passing for at least 250 yards in each of his first 7 starts in the post-season.

Mahomes and Brady have an 18-year age gap between them; the largest ever between two opposing quarterbacks in Superbowl history. So, will this be a moment where we see a changing of the guard, or will Brady remind the world that he is not done yet?

The smart money is on the Chiefs, with a Brady-inspired comeback insufficient to prevent a 27-24 victory when the two teams met earlier this season. Brady may have greater experience on the big stage, but Mahomes is no stranger to excelling under pressure either, winning the Super Bowl MVP just last year. The fact of the matter is that Andy Reid’s men have been the best team in the NFL this regular season, bar maybe the Packers, so should have enough to win a second successive ring.

That being said, Tampa Bay were not supposed to make it this far. An 11-5 regular season record only granted the Buccaneers passage to the Wild Card round. It seemed that despite possessing a wealth of receiving talent, Brady’s relocation to Florida would not go as planned. Yet here we are, with the Bucs set to make just their first Super Bowl appearance in 18 years and only their second in franchise history. The idea of Brady going one step further now seems all the more plausible.

Who are you backing? The future star, or the all-time great?

If you are undecided, here is one statistic that might help you to make up your mind.

When Aaron Rodgers threw his third touchdown of the NFC Championship game, he moved into joint-second on the all-time list for post-season touchdowns by an NFL quarterback on 45. Who is first? Tom Brady. On 80.

09/02/2021

Luke Saward

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031