Books

Winter Book Recommendations

One of my favourite things to do in winter is grab a book and sit with a hot drink, pretending there’s a fire right next to me, when in reality it’s just a radiator. If you’re not a fan of winter, this is one of the small pleasures to make this season that tiny bit more bearable.

Over the years, I’ve always gone back to the same books around Christmas. Although not all of these books are technically “Christmas books”, they give me some serious nostalgia from this time of year.

Firstly, Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle, is such a must-have. It centres around several teenagers in a small town in the midst of a snowstorm. Everything about it screams Christmas, and it’s a very easy plot to follow.

Moving onto a classic, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Need I say more? I’m not the biggest fan of a lot of classic novels but this one is one of my all-time favourites! If you’re unfamiliar with it, it’s a heart-warming tale about the March sisters, loosely based on Alcott’s life, thrown in with some significant holiday/winter elements.

Some honourable mentions include: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, pretty much any Harry Potter book, C.S. Lewis’s The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and I have to, reluctantly, mention Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. Even though I hated studying this book during my GCSEs, it’s a quick and easy read, about the classic tale of a resentful old man realising there’s more to life than being miserable. It’s worth reading at least once in your life, unless you’re still scarred from writing essays on it!

Of course, there are countless books of this kind, but these are the ones I’d personally recommend to those who really want to get into the Christmas spirit.

07/12/2021

Sienna Norris

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31