Music, Venue

WOLF ALICE @ THE LCR

When you think of some of the biggest names in rock to come out of the UK in the past ten years, Wolf Alice immediately springs to mind. With their performance at the LCR last month, the band proved that there aren’t too many artists in the UK at the moment that can compete with them. 

Not expecting a support act, I ended up only catching the end of Matt Maltese’s set which left me kicking myself for the rest of the night. I remember discovering Matt when Vacant in the 21st century dropped in 2016 and since then he’s drifted from my radar even though he has only grown from those early days. The last couple of songs proved I’d been missing out on some amazing music as he performed a great set that set the scene perfectly for the main event.

Wolf Alice are no strangers to the LCR having played here in 2016 and 2017 previously and they took to the stage like they were saying hello to an old friend. Nor are they a stranger to Concrete, having sat down for an interview with us last year. 

The LCR was packed and I found myself facing a blockade of fans and could only find a place to stand near the bar but this didn’t affect the night at all. As the lights dimmed, the crowd roared to welcome on stage the four-piece band who kicked off the show with one of their biggest tracks, Smile.

The majority of songs played came from their most recent album ‘Blue Weekend’ but the band found time to fit in some fan favourite’s from ‘My Love is Cool’ and ‘Visions of a Life’.

The song that received the largest reception was certainly Moaning Lisa Smile from the bands second EP. For this track, they had the help of a 17-year-old fan who took to the stage and it’s fair to say left the audience and the band with their jaws dropped. 

One of the standout parts of Wolf Alice’s set was the attention they had put on their set production. There were strobe lights that reflected the blue, green and red that can be seen in their album cover for Blue Weekend. It was often mesmerising and the image of a curtain behind them gave a grand feeling to the set.

After their set, the band returned for an encore that included the tracks: The Last Man on Earth and Don’t Delete the Kisses.

All in all, it was an amazing show from one of the most exciting bands at the moment. If you ever have the chance to see Wolf Alice, take it.

22/03/2022

Tom Manning

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930