Women’s Lacrosse ease to Derby Day victory

After finding out that Essex were top of their BUCS league UEA knew they had drawn strong opposition, an opening goal from Essex only confirmed these suspicions. However, following a series of tough games recently, UEA entered with the confidence of having an experienced squad.

womens lacrosse

Photo: Moji Adegbile

UEA quickly found themselves three goals down before Susannah Cant put one away for the visitors. There was frustration from both sides as the ball struggled to move out of the midfield, and the umpire warned the captains about illegal tackles. With the fear of cards being given, the game became much cleaner. A timeout called by Essex worked in UEA’s favour; a change of tactics led to increased possession and more shots on goal.

The second half gave UEA their chance to shine; Milly Heelan moved the ball effortlessly from defence to the shooters with Moji Adegbile a force to be reckoned with on the tackles. The goals kept rolling in, with UEA looking like the sure winners. But a yellow card for Annie Porter brought the side down to eleven on the field, forcing them to play safe, so as not to jeopardize their sensational comeback until they were back on even numbers.

With twelve minutes to go in the final half, UEA were three ahead, but another goal for Essex ensured tensions remained high. One more goal for UEA finalised a score of 9-6 to seal Team UEA’s first victory of Derby Day 2014.

25/03/2014

gracerundle