The university’s annual Working with Words conference will be held this year on 2 March. The event hosts over 40 speakers and the opportunity to sign up is available via CareerCentral. Working with Words seeks to give insight to students looking to work in the creative industries, as well as tools to maximise their employability. The careers discussed ranging from journalism to publishing.

The speakers at the conference range from experienced professionals who lead in their field along to recent UEA graduates in the beginning stages of their career paths.

The event has scheduled 20 panels to run throughout the day, allowing students to tailor the experience to their specific interests.

The conference last year was scheduled during the snow and subsequently cancelled, so this year is a fantastic way to go and hear about what it is like to work with the creative industries. Authors such as Leo Hunt and Hayley Long will be speaking in the Author, Agent and Publisher session. UEA’s own Claire Hynes alongside Jess Frank-Keyes and Andrew Clavane will be speaking about journalism and what a career in journalism looks like in 2019.

They will be sharing career stories and offering ideas about where and how to get started. A lot of the sessions revolve around creativity, ranging from Creating Content and SEO to Creative Collaborations.

It is important to note that the conference is not restricted to those in schools such as LDC, HUM, AMA etc – there are also sessions on Games (running your own studio) as well as Political and Persuasive Writing/Radical Words about how political stories are covered in the media. The Working with Words conference is one not to miss and will provide valuable information about beginning careers in the creative industries.