Recipes, Travel

World cafe: recipes from around the globe

Saltfish Cod Fritters

Saltfish Cod Fritters. Photo: Wikimedia
Saltfish Cod Fritters. Photo: Wikimedia

Saltfish fritters are one of those standout dishes that one immediately associates with sunshine, sea, and all things Caribbean. These are delicious served as a side dish alongside other traditional Caribbean foods, such as plantain and ackee.

Ingredients
– 300g saltfish cod
– 300g self-raising flour
– 250ml cold water
– Three spring onions
– One scotch bonnet
– Vegetable oil

[su_spoiler title=”Top tip – chilli” style=”simple” icon=”chevron-circle” anchor=”End”]We’ve all chopped up a chili, rubbed our eye, and then felt that unbearable sting. To prevent that, put a little bit of oil on your fingers before chopping, so that when you are chopping up the chili it doesn’t stick, just be extra careful when you chop![/su_spoiler]

Method
– Put the Saltfish in the saucepan, cover it with cold water, and rinse it through a couple of times to remove some of the excess salt. We want the fish to be salty but also edible!

– Fill the saucepan with water once again, and then cook the fish for ten minutes on a medium heat until the water boils. Make sure to do a taste test to check whether enough salt has been removed.

– Whilst the fish is boiling, chop up your spring onions in to small slices, so that they are fine throughout the batter. At this point you can also chop up your scotch bonnet to add that Caribbean heat, but if you want it extra hot you can always put those seeds in!

– In a separate bowl, mix the flour, spring onions, and scotch bonnet together until it is all evenly combined and distributed.

– You can now drain the saltfish, and use a fork to flake it in to little pieces. Be wary of using your hands, as it may still be a little bit hot, and could burn.

– Add the flaked saltfish in to the dry mixture and then procede to gradually add the whole 250ml of water in stages, remembering to mix thoroughly in between pours. This should create a spoonable batter.

– In a frying pan, pour enough vegetable oil in for a shallow fry. Leave the oil to heat up for a couple of minutes, then spoon in 2 tablespoons worth of mixture in per serving, and fry on each side for seven minutes. Enjoy!

Tori Brown

[hr gap_2]

Tortilla de Patas

Tortilla de Patas. Photo: Rae Allen, Flickr

The Spanish omelette is perhaps one of the simplest dishes in Spanish cuisine, yet despite consisting of only three basic ingredients, it is certainly one of the best. Just as delicious as the more elaborate paella, this dish’s taste should not be underrated just because of its ease.

Ingredients
– One potato
– Two eggs
– 1/4 onion
– Olive oil
– Salt

[su_spoiler title=”Top tip – make it yours” style=”simple” icon=”chevron-circle” anchor=”End”]You can also customise it by adding green or red peppers, cheese, tuna or whatever you fancy.[/su_spoiler]

Method
– First, peel and wash the potatoes, pat them dry with some kitchen paper, and then cut them into slices about 3mm thick. The onions can be either sliced or diced depending on your preference. Add salt to taste.

– Pour it all into a pan with previously heated oil, it should be about 1 cm high. The mixture must only be added when the oil smokes lightly, as cold oil will result in greasy potatoes.

– While these are in the pan, beat the eggs. Once the potatoes and the onions are done, the former should be soft, and the latter, golden, drain them and add them to the beaten eggs, and heat up oil in the pan again, you can use the extra one from earlier, this time just enough to cover the base. Again, when it is lightly smoking, add the mixture.

– Fry for approximately 1 minute while occasionally gently shaking the pan in circular motions so as to prevent sticking.

– Then it’s time for some bravery: cover the pan with a plate, press hard against the pan and flip it over in a very quick movement. It’s got to be seriously fast, otherwise it will all spill out. Let it all slide back into the pan and cook for another minute, poking it with a fork to accelerate the procedure.

Esther Veas

01/12/2015

toribrown