Gaming, OldVenue

This year’s new games likely to disappoint

This handover issue comes at a special transitional time for us: exam season is raging, students are heading home, and no one is going to be reading Concrete right now. Therefore, there’s not much point bringing out any especially significant pieces of gaming news. Rather, enjoy a summary of this year’s releases, some light reading, and some vague opinion pieces.

As far as releases go, we have well and truly been spoiled this year so far. 2016 is massive for both fresh and sequel game releases; we had LEGO: Marvel Avengers and Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC in January, and picked up momentum with The Following DLC for Dying Light, XCOM 2, the delightfully refreshing Far Cry Primal, and Street Fighter 5 in February. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, The (somewhat disappointing) Division, an HD release of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Pokken Tournament were released in March.

Quantum Break, Dark Souls 3, and Ratchet and Clank hit stores in April, the latter of which accompanied by a very average movie released on the 29th of the same month. Only weeks away from E3 2016, releases in May came more in quality than quantity, but who can complain? Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End looks incredible, as does the Far Harbour DLC for Fallout 4, and the Total War series took an interesting route with the new Total War: Warhammer game that blessed our release charts this last month.

But what do we have to look forward to? I’m glad you asked, because I am so excited for the later releases this year. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps, Kirby: Planet Robotobot, and LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released in June after the success of the movie last December, and with July comes a small dollop of titles including ARK: Survival of the Fittest on PS4, Batman: Return to Arkham, and The Banner Saga 2. In August we have World of Warcraft: Legion to look forward to, plus Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom.

The long-awaited (but probably anticlimactic) Final Fantasy 15 hits PS4 and Xbox one in September, with Mafia 3 and Battlefield 1 in October, curiously named as the latest in a long line of Battlefield titles. However, the trailer does look fantastic. You can’t go wrong with dubstep White Stripes. November brings some of the best of the bunch: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Dishonored 2, and Pokémon Sun and Moon, the latter of which just having received a fantastic game trailer update featuring the three new starter Pokémon: Rowlet, Litten, and the infinitely popular Popplio. Personally, the new Pokémon releases will be the highlight of my year, and I have already pre-ordered Moon for the release in mid-November (if anyone wants my friend code hit me up.

14/06/2016

kirstymcalpine